Search Away!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Finding That Inspiration

(This post is not of a new adventure, but a closer look into my experiences as a runner. I promise it's just as good, and wreaks of sentiment, tenderness, emotion and such just as much, if not more so, than the other posts.)


Running on a treadmill; sadly, it isn't ideal. But when the world outside is boasting single-digit temperatures, and the wind and the snow aren't in short supply, I'm afraid the thought of running outdoors holds absolutely no appeal. Shocking, I know. So, as you've probably assumed, I've spent a majority of my winter-running in a noisy, congested gym, sweating and slaving on that glorified spinning belt. (To the treadmill's credit, it does charge my iPod. Which is spectacular. But don't tell it I said that, it's still on my bad side.)


Running outside is such an incredible sensory experience. You feel your progress, you enjoy the sun, the scenes, the energy. Running indoors, although a sensory experience... it ain't a pretty one. It smells terrible, you're stuck in the same spot for up to an hour-and-a-half, and you keep running at the same pace on the same ground looking at the same wall. So you really have to dig deep when you press "Start" and that belt gets a-goin'. 


What helps? Music. Definitely music. Great music gets you physically, emotionally, and mentally invested in your run. But even inspiration via music has it's limit. I can only listen to "nameless motivating song" so many times before its purpose shifts from inspiring to maddening. I've heard it's nice to workout in a gym because it puts your mind in a competitive mode: you want to beat the guy next to you! Sure, that works when you're on the same page physically speaking, even if you're running along side a fit person you feel you can "one up", but when Señor Speedy-McBuffpants is attempting to break the sound-barrier on the treadmill next to you, it's a little hard to be that little-engine-that-could.


The worst part of the treadmill-experience? The clock. Try as hard as you can, but sooner or later you're going to catch a glance of that clock and realize that you've only been running for 13 minutes when you could swear it's been at least 30. That's a big confidence-bummer. But it's at that time when you really have to do some self-evaluation: Why am I on this treadmill? What else could I be doing right now? Is this the best thing for me? Do I have what it takes to finish this hour run, even though it's only be 10 minutes and I can hear St. Peter calling my name? 


I experienced all of these doubts today, and a handful more. I promised myself that I was going to run a 5K in under 28 minutes. I had already exhausted myself with weight-lifting, so I knew that this run wasn't going to be pretty. For some inexplicable reason I felt like being especially malicious to myself, so I cranked up the speed and set the incline high. Why did I do this? CAN I do this?!?


You bet I can. It's gonna suck, and oh-boy it did, but I am going to feel so great afterwards. Sure, I want to stop. I'm sure I could go home and catch up on my Paula Deen. But this is not going to kill me, I can push past this minor mental-block, and I'm going to feel so proud, so happy, and so gosh-darn awesome that I not only finished, but I excelled*. I ran faster and stronger than I had thought I would. The inspiration HAS to come from within. Superficial motivators, though nice to have, are not the necessities. That burning-passion within you is what's going to make that dream come true. 


This quote kept me going today:


"Regardless of how distant your dreams may seem, every second counts."


That's a quote by a pro-runner (who's name escapes me...) for runners, but it's one of those beauties that can be applied to any facet of life, and is a large influence on the theme of this blog. No doubt you'll see it pop up again soon. I hope it means something to you, because it speaks such a great truth: You want to run a marathon? You better start running. You want to be a famous artist? Pick up that brush. You want the world to worship your recipes? Start cookin'.

*For those who care, I ran 3.1 miles in 27.33. And yes, I am ridiculously proud of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment